Tarka Moves North - Escaping a Foreign Country Lockdown
We are moving North! We sat in a remote atoll in Belize, listening to the morning cruisers net that has become vital with border closures and up to date cruiser information in regards to the COVD-19 pandemic. Cruisers were calling in and reporting that they had been approached and told they had to go into the main town, get off their boats and get a hotel room where they would, presumably, have to self quarantine and then shelter in place. For us this was not an option. We couldn't leave Tarka on the hook with no way of checking on her! Not only that but we don't have the money to pay for a month at a hotel! We decided then and there that we had to leave. However, we faced some obstacles; we couldn't provision like we normally do as we couldn't go back into town for fear they may sequester us, we could not check out of the country as all offices were closed and there was no option of stopping in Mexico along the way. We would need a 7-8 day weather window to get back stateside where they do not require a zarpe and check out papers from the country you departed from. We called up Chris Parker with Marine Weather Center (our weather god!) and asked when the next weather window would be. "Leave right now" is what he told us. It was 9am and by 12 noon we were hauling up the anchor! If this season haas taught us anything it's that, as cruisers, we have to stay flexible and change our expectations. I think Spencer and I had so many plans when we got Tarka and now, with borders closing and so much going on in the world it has forced us to reevaluate and change our plans. It reminds us that weather, repairs, country regulations and so much more play a heavier hand in our planning than what we want, but in the end it always works out for the better and either way we are aboard an awesome boat and we're doing what we love, and that is what is important. USA, here we COME!!!!